Acupuncture is effective with many conditions in addition to those listed by the World Health Organization (see Conditions Treated with Acupuncture). Such conditions might include headaches, chronic fatigue, back pain, joint pain, infertility, asthma, and addictions. Since Chinese medicine holds that body, mind and spirit are one, emotional issues are often positively affected by acupuncture as well, such as depression, anxiety, grief, relationship difficulties, and stress, in general. It is also helpful for many chronic illnesses and health concerns that have no clear origin or cause. Patients who are committed to making healthy lifestyle choices, including ongoing acupuncture treatment, often experience:
- Being sick less often and recovering more quickly
- Improvement of vitality and stamina
- Being able to take care of their own health
- Reduced long term health care costs (doctor visits, medications, surgeries)
- Saving up those sick days at the office and adding them to their vacation time!
In a survey of people who receive acupuncture, conducted by anthropologist Claire Cassidy, Ph.D., indicates that they see their physicians less frequently and use fewer medications. In addition, over two thirds of those surveyed reported having avoided recommended surgery.